Sean cahill memorial trackday

Dec 4, 2010
Irish Mitsubishi Owners Club managed to arrange a trackday to be held on the 24th of April 2009 in honour of Sean Cahill (a member of the Irish mitsubishi owners club) who sadly passed away a few of months beforehand.

With the trackday quickly approaching, I decided to look at upgrading the cams to add a little more power and torque so after a chat with Todd and Barry, I went on the hunt for a set of MR cams from an evo 8MR, during my search for the cams I managed to come across a cusco bolt in cage from a local lad and fitted it upon arrival it took me about 8 hours to fit with the help of poggy (the trusted CW welder), todd and barry from CW performance.





With the cams it didnt take long to find them, as people dont really regard them as a high performing cam but they would do the job nicely for a fraction of the price of aftermarket cams. After about a week of searching, Shergar a fellow Evo enthusiast was changing out his cams in his 8MR for a set of GSC 272's so I swiftly took the opportunity and snatched them up and a week later I had the car remapped by Cw Performance Fredstyle!!!!.

To be honest I wasnt expecting a huge difference in power between the standard 6 cams and the 8mr ones but my god!!! the difference for a 150 odd euro was amazing the torque had increased quite alot from the stock cams and general acceleration to redline felt much quicker.

The trackday had quickly approached and all the preparations where in place, I had been to visit Todd from CW on the 17th of April 2009 and had a fast road setup applied but as per usual in Ireland it decided to rain so there wasnt going to be any extremely fast laps as this was my first time going out in the Evo around Mondello and only my second time out ever.

Anyway the day started extremely wet and I decided to take it slow enough and get a feel for things and also make sure I bedded in my new Carbotech Xp8 Brake pads which had only been fitted the night before whoops. Anyway all went brilliant and later on I felt I was really getting the hang of it and with only one spin I thought all in all the day was a success and as usual the car perform flawlessly.

Check out the video of my best lap recorded as the battery died for some of the later ones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROjVTNky5MU







I also had Paul Curren a far more experienced driver take me out and show me how to really work an evo at mondello and here is the result, extremely impressed with how the car performed and again not a bad thing to report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltHCEU0cnH8&feature=related

Next was to make a move for Dublin Docks and catch the ferry across to the UK to go see some of the main tuners fight it out for the first event of Timeattack UK 2009. Here are the pictures from the weekend which ended with a nice play between the 4 evo's that went along in our rush back to docks on the sunday morning.

The four Evo's that made the trip and trackday




Some serious cars out and a scorcher of a weekend in Cheshire ha ha.












































0 comments:

Post a Comment